The Queen Mary
The Queen Mary after completing her maiden voyage on June 1, 1936
The Queen Mary, or "Grey Ghost," was commissioned in 1936 and made over 1000 Atlantic crossings before she was finally sent to dry dock in 1967. During those thirty years, it is believed that 31 passengers, 16 crew members and two soldiers died aboard this ship. In 1967, she was purchased by the city of Long Beach and transformed into a hotel and tourist attraction.
Summary of the Haunting
- The first-class swimming area is haunted by two women who drowned there (one in the 1930s and the other in the 1960s. The tourist-class swimming pool is also haunted by a woman.
- Also in the pool area a young girl is seen wandering the pool area and nursery looking for her doll or her mother.
- A young boy who fell overboard is seen in the passageway near the pool.
- The Queens Salon (former first-class lounge) is haunted by a woman in a white dress.
- The first class suite area is haunted by a black-haired man dressed in 1930s business attire.
- The forward storage room is haunted by the sound of children playing.
- Pounding sounds are heard near the bo'sun's locker.
- Cabin B340 is haunted by a murdered purser.
- The kitchen is haunted by a cook who was murdered there. His cooking was so bad it caused a riot and the cook ended up burned alive in his own oven.
- Former crewman John Peddler is seen near Door no. 13, the spot he was crushed during a drill in 1966. Knocks and bright lights are also seen here.
- In the engine room, a sailor crushed to death trying to escape an engine fire can be heard banging and knocking on the pipes of the ship for help.
- Senior Second Officer William Stark has also been seen on the ship.
- Throughout the ship, visitors have seen furniture move by itself and heard ghostly screams.
Books and Articles
- Legend of America's "Ghosts of the Queen Mary in Long Beach"
- Your Ghost Stories'"The Queen Mary Haunting"
- About.com's Haunted Hotels: The Queen Mary by Charlyn Keating Chisholm
For More Information
RMS Queen Mary
1126 Queen's Hwy
Long beach, CA 90802
General Information: (877) 342-0738
Hotel Reservations: (877) 342-0742
All material is ©2010 by Darcy Oordt, unless stated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Content cannot be used elsewhere without written permission.