"A hotel so scary it frightened Stephen King..." or at least scary enough to inspire the author to write the bestselling novel The Shining. It is listed on NY Daily News's Most Haunted Places on Earth and Forbes.com's The Most Haunted Hotels.
Summary of the Haunting
- F.O. Stanley is seen in the lobby, billiard room and bar.
- His wife, Flora, is believed to play the piano in the ballroom. People hear music and see the keys play (and it's not a player piano).
- Staff have reported hearing a party going on in the ballroom when it is empty.
- Children are often reported heard playing in the hallways when no children are staying at the hotel.
- In room 407, Lord Dunraven (former owner of the property) is seen standing in the corner near the bathroom.
- People have also reported seeing a ghostly face looking out the window of Room 407 when the room is not booked.
- In room 418, people report hearing children's voices outside the door and employees report seeing impressions on the bed although no one is staying in the room.
- Noises come from the elevator even when it is not in use.
- A ghostly child has also been seen, reportedly by Stephen King himself (I have yet to find an confirmation of this from S. K.)
- Guests have reported seeing figures standing over their beds and lights turning on and off by themselves in various rooms.
- Ghostly activity has been reported in rooms 217 and 401.
- A ghost is also believed responsible for stealing guests' jewelry, watches, and luggage.
- Ghost Hunters episode 222
- Ghost Lab episode 150
- Pasadena Paranormal Research Society
- Phoenix Arizona Paranormal Society
- Long Island Paranormal Investigators
- The Paranormal Source
Books and Articles
- "Exploring the Stanley Hotel with The Ghost Hunters" by Kamran Pasha
- "Haunted Estes Park"
- "Haunted Stanley Hotel"
- "Ghosts of the Stanley Hotel" by Emily Eppig
- "Haunted Hotel: Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado" by Charlyn Keating Chisholm
- Stephen King's novel (that was inspired, if not about, The Stanley Hotel) The Shining
No video section about the Stanely Hotel is complete unless The Shining movies are mentioned. There are two. The original Jack Nicholson version, which was not shot at the hotel, and the made-for-TV remake which was shot at the hotel.
Ghost Hunters Halloween 2006 Stanley Hotel EVP Excerpt
Ghost Hunters - The Stanley Hotel Tunnel "Hello" voice
T.R.U.E. Investigations investigates the Stanley Hotel
The Stanley Hotel offers its own historic ghost tour for $15. It is open to the public. To make reservations, call (800) 577-4110.
For More Information
The Stanely Hotel
333 Wonderview Ave.
Estes Park, CO 80517
All material is ©2010 by Darcy Oordt, unless stated otherwise. All Rights Reserved. Content cannot be used elsewhere without written permission.